It is a state of mind .......
Sleep has a property of Tamas which means it manifests generally during nights when Tamas is predominant. When the tissue pores & channels of the body get covered with Kapha dosha, when the body is fatigued by exertion & when the sense organs are not functioning, sleep manifests in the body.
IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP for well-being:
Happiness & misery, nourishment & emaciation, strength & debility, virility & impotence, knowledge & ignorance, life & death are all dependant on sleep.
Sleep when indulged into judiciously results in immense happiness & longetivity, whereas improper sleep either less or in excess destroys life & happiness.
Remaining awake during nights increases dryness of body, sleeping during day leads to increase in unctuousness whereas reclining leisurely without falling asleep causes neither.
LOSS OF SLEEP:
A person suffering from insomnia may have one or all of the following symptoms:
- Frequent headaches,
- Irritability or lack of concentration
- Feeling tired
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Turning and tossing in the bed for 30-40 minutes before you fall asleep
- Waking up repeatedly during the night
- Awakens far too early and is unable to get back to sleep
- Only falls asleep with the aid of medication
Loss of sleep occurs due to the following reasons:
- Excessive thirst, pain, grief, happiness, fear, anger, worry & other such emotions;
- Uncomfortable bed,
- Increase of Satvaguna,
- Intake of dry foods, like
- Intense engagement in work,
- Lapse of usual sleeping time & habit,
- Effect of diseases,
- Increase of Vata &Pitta in the body.
Environmental factors like noise, light or extreme temperatures may also interfere with sleep.
OLD AGE & INSOMNIA:
Doshas, tissues & impurities constitute the structural & functional units of the body. Each dosha rules a particular phase of our life. The childhood is influenced by Kapha dosha, the youth by Pitta & the old age by Vata.
As a result, during old age the body becomes drier, cold, and easily succumbs to disorders of Vata. With Insomnia predominantly being a Vatik disorder; the elderly are the most affected.
Back to Page