It is a state of mind .......
Sleep has a property of Tamas which means it manifests generally during nights when Tamas is predominant. When the tissue pores & channels of the body get covered with Kapha dosha, when the body is fatigued by exertion & when the sense organs are not functioning, sleep manifests in the body.
IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP for well-being:
Happiness & misery, nourishment & emaciation, strength & debility, virility & impotence, knowledge & ignorance, life & death are all dependant on sleep.
Sleep when indulged into judiciously results in immense happiness & longetivity, whereas improper sleep either less or in excess destroys life & happiness.
Remaining awake during nights increases dryness of body, sleeping during day leads to increase in unctuousness whereas reclining leisurely without falling asleep causes neither.
LOSS OF SLEEP:
A person suffering from insomnia may have one or all of the following symptoms:
- Frequent headaches,
- Irritability or lack of concentration
- Feeling tired
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Turning and tossing in the bed for 30-40 minutes before you fall asleep
- Waking up repeatedly during the night
- Awakens far too early and is unable to get back to sleep
- Only falls asleep with the aid of medication
Loss of sleep occurs due to the following reasons:
- Excessive thirst, pain, grief, happiness, fear, anger, worry & other such emotions;
- Uncomfortable bed,
- Increase of Satvaguna,
- Intake of dry foods, like
- Intense engagement in work,
- Lapse of usual sleeping time & habit,
- Effect of diseases,
- Increase of Vata &Pitta in the body.
Environmental factors like noise, light or extreme temperatures may also interfere with sleep.
OLD AGE & INSOMNIA:
Doshas, tissues & impurities constitute the structural & functional units of the body. Each dosha rules a particular phase of our life. The childhood is influenced by Kapha dosha, the youth by Pitta & the old age by Vata.
As a result, during old age the body becomes drier, cold, and easily succumbs to disorders of Vata. With Insomnia predominantly being a Vatik disorder; the elderly are the most affected.
DIET: The diet should include plenty of,
- Buffalo’s Milk,
- Curd prepared from Buffalo’s milk,
- Sugarcane juice,
- Eatables prepared from flour & jaggery,
- Rice &
- Black gram.
Avoid: Caffeine, alcohol & tobacco.
The following regimen proves beneficial in loss of sleep:
- Oil massage especially over the scalp & foot,
- A warm bath,
- Application of lubricating pastes to the scalp & face.
- Daily physical exercise,
- Regular bed time hours,
- Avoid frequent daytime Naps
- Avoid bright bedroom lights,
- Sleep with a pleasant mind
- Get up earlier in the morning
Sleep in your bed laid out in a clean place, devoid of too many people. The cot should be of the height of one’s knee, well furnished with suitable, broad, even & comfortable pillows. Head should be placed towards east or south.
The following medications aid in relieving chronic insomnia:
Decoction of whole plant of Boerhaavia diffusa (Available as a common weed in garden, also Available in Traditional medicine raw drug store as roots)
- When partaken in the dose of 50ml,twice a day promotes good sleep.
- Boil 2 tsps of Khas-khas in milk, add sugar to taste & partake during bedtime.
- Take one teaspoon of fried cumin seeds powder. Fill it inside ripe banana and consume before going to bed at night.
- Take 200ml of milk add Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) [Available in Traditional medicine raw drug store as roots ] powder1-2 gm and. Take it at bedtime regularly.
- Add 3 tsps of honey to boiled & cooled water. Partake at bedtime.
- Powdered root of Piper longum( Pippali) when partaken added with jaggery destroys even chronic insomnia.
- Ashwagandha churna (2 tsps) when partaken with warm milk during bedtime is also beneficial in the condition.
- Sesame oil processed with cumin seeds / Amla.
- Chandanadi tailam,
- Arakku/Lakshadi tailam.
Back to Page